Father’s day is a celebration of fatherhood. It is a day to commemorate and honour the person who walks with you in every phase of life. They teach, they care and protect. Father’s day celebrates the influence that dads have in the society.
It was started in United States in the early 20th century to complement Mother’s day and rejoice male parenting. Every year it is celebrated on the 3rd Sunday of June. The thought behind Father’s day is credited to Sonora Dodd. She was raised by a single parent and after hearing about Mother’s day celebrations, she wanted to let her father know how special he was. In1920 the father’s day promotion soon faded away but when Sonora returned to Spokane (where it was first founded in 1910) she started promoting the day again. By 1980’s this day had become like Second Christmas for many industries.
Father’s day is considered as an occasion to recognize the pains a father takes for a child’s upbringing. He makes the child feel secure and provides the aegis of protection and gives all pleasures of life. Your father is the special icon whom you look up to. This day is also celebrated for all those men who have been a fatherly figure in one’s life. Anne Sexton, once said, “It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was”. He is every child’s super hero. A father is a girl’s first love and a boy’s first icon.
This year 2013, Father’s Day will be celebrated on 16th June. Everybody has their own ways of celebrating this day but here are a few suggestions which can make your father’s day celebrations more special.
- Flowers: Ties have become passé, and how many times can you gift a tie? If you know which your father’s favorite flower is, you can gift him a bunch. Even if you do not know, a single rose will show your affection towards him.
- Handmade cards: you may not be a little child anymore, but a handmade card or a special note will let him know how much you care. Your words will speak your heart out.
- Cooking something special: Cook him a special or his favourite meal. The love that you put in the cooking will surely get through him.
- Take him out for his favorite hobby: Spend the time together. Take him for a game of bowling or whichever game he likes. Take him out for a dinner, even if it local pizza place.
- Chocolates or his favorite sweets: If your dad happens to have a sweet tooth, gift a box of his favourites or prepare homemade sweets. They can be some freshly baked cookies or his favorite pies.
- Plan a trip: Plan for a surprise vacation for your parents. Let your dad spend some time with your mom and have a relaxed time.
Everything that would be heartfelt will convey your love for your father.
Image: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>