Having a full fridge doesn’t necessarily have to be cluttered. Besides having an organised refrigerator means that you wouldn’t have to do any kind of digging in order to find something.
We have drawn up a list of things you could do to make your fridge clutter free and organised
- Usually the area of the fridge that is the coldest is at the back near its freezer. Do check to find the area of your fridge that is the coldest and use that area to stash away the eggs, milk, diary and raw meat.
- Store meat separately in a container or even a bin in order to avoid cross contamination. This will prevent any juices or blood from dripping onto the rest of the contents of the fridge.
- Things that you regularly used like the sauces or condiments in the door of the fridge in order to make them easily accessible.
- Things that you do not regularly use can go to the back of the fridge where they can remain until you need them again. However things like Worcestershire sauce, onions, potatoes and tomatoes can be left outside since they do not need to be refrigerated.
- Use small bins to group like things together and this is bound to save you a lot of time since you will not be hunting all over the place for them. You can keep a bin for ethnic ingredients, one for salsas and sauces and so on.
- Bins are also extremely useful to put away things like tubes of tomato paste, string cheese etc until they are used up.
- When you use containers of various sizes then put the tall ones at the back of the fridge and the small ones at the front so that you can see what is at the back of the fridge without having to fumble around.
- Things that need to be used up soon can be placed at the front of the fridge so that you see them whenever you open the fridge and use them as soon as possible.
- Invest in containers that can be stacked and are also see through. This will save you the hassle of having to open each and every container until you find what you need. Try buying either rectangular or square containers; they are very efficient when it comes to usage of space.
- Place all the leftovers on the same shelf preferably in microwavable glass containers so that they don’t get forgotten. Do remember to label all of these containers along with the expiration date so that they do not go straight into the garbage the next time you see them.
Always remember that the fridge isn’t a closet to stash away all your food, it is a high tech device that is designed to store all of your food products at optimal conditions. Following the points given above will help in the prevention of food wastage and will also keep your fridge clutter free.