Day Light Saving is also the summertime in many countries (Britain and other European countries). DST as it is called is the practice of advancing the clocks in order to have more daylight in the evenings. The clocks are adjusted one hour ahead around the spring season and then the adjustment of making the clocks turn one hour backwards is done in autumn season.
This idea is pioneered by George Vernon Hudson in 1895 and implemented during the First World War. This concept has been appreciated as well as been criticized. The places that it benefits are: retailing, sports and activities tied up with the sunlight. The prime aim of this practice was reducing the usage of electricity in the evenings. The problem faced by DST is the complicated timekeeping. This upsets the meeting schedules, travel timings, medical devices and more importantly the sleeping patterns. When Day Light Saving protocols change the software automatic updating also get disrupted.
The change in sleeping patterns many a times leads to health complications and issues.
Although it is just an hour or 60 minutes / 3600 seconds but they are precious. We always aim at making the best of time that we have. To make best of this one hour when it is available to us, there are a few things to that we can do:
- Go for a long walk: Because of DST we get extra daylight. The first thing in the mornings instead of sleeping is to go for a long walk. A walk in the woods is also a great idea. Take in the fresh air and appreciating the nature is a good way to start the day.
- Play with your kids: This spare time lets you bond with your kids. You can play ball with, throw Frisbee , read with them and relax while having fun with the children.
- Stay in touch: Get in touch with your family and friends. With a busy schedule all year round there is barely any time to talk and spend some time with friends and extended family. This extra hour gives you that time. Pick up your phone or get in touch with an old friend via Internet.
- Clean up your house: Take that extra hour to clean up your house. You also employ a cleaning company to make your house all sparkly and shiny.
- Pen down your thoughts: In this hectic lifestyle, there is very little time for introspection. Make use of this one hour to introspect and pen down what you feel. Grab a pen and paper and rite the way you feel. It can be a poem or an article whatever you wish to write.
- Relax: The final suggestion is to kick back and relax. The extra hour from the day light saving time is to relax. There are so many responsibilities that we take every day. Take a breather, relax. This can mean a sauna bath or a bubble bath, watching television, playing computer games, listening to music or some time with your partner.
Image credit: <a href=’http://www.123rf.com/photo_15576531_an-image-of-a-nice-clock-showing-daylight-saving-time.html’>markusgann / 123RF Stock Photo</a>