Going on road trips with toddlers is not very simple. It is truly challenging because they get distracted and find road trips boring. The main reason is their movement is restricted. Here are some tips to make your road travel easier with toddlers.
Road Trip Games
- Get cheap toys, Dolls, stickers, magnifying glass, trinkets and noise makers. Wrap them individually before as unwrapping is fun. Carry them in a bag that has bright colors and funny pictures.
- Take some treasure map and reward them when they point out some treasure point with a snack or a toy. This keeps them occupied and happy on receiving rewards.]
- Take some pictured books so that they go through the book. Tie the book to the car front seat or pin it such that it stays unnoticed. This keeps the boot safe.
- Give them a camera that is not in much use, but can take pictures on your drive.
- Carry a box of band- aids, few fever and cold medicines, antiseptic cream and dettol.
- Blowing bubbles keeps your toddler engaged at the window. Keep an eye so that your child does not lean out too much. The bubbles make things sticks, but are washable.
- Alphabet games, word games and few cardboard puzzle games keeps them busy in fixing. They also remain silent allowing you a peaceful travel.
Road Trip Art Projects
Body art: Allow your kids to draw using washable markers or use washable tattoos. It entertains them and allows them to draw on wash off car seat covers.
Puppet Show: Make paper puppets. Tie markers or crayons to the car seats with string and say some simple story that keeps them interested in you. You can use imaginary creatures, make matchbox cars and have a great road trip with your toddler.
Road Trip Snacks
- Take portable food such as raisins, crackers, apple slices, grapes, string cheese and juice boxes. Mix dried fruits, gummy fruit snacks, fruit roll ups and small toffees.
- Marshmallows are great. Make a snake or edible spider of marshmallow, pretzel, etc. Eat your creations.
- Pepperoni slices are protein sources, though not very healthy. You can give them on your travel.
- Limit juice intake, else you need to stop frequently.
Must-have items for road trips
Storage space: Carry plenty of zip lock baggies. This help in storing anything and everything.
Easy wipes: Diaper wipes are a must, even if your toddler is potty trained. They are required for cleaning surfaces and faces. Even few dish towels to clear spills and to be used as bibs.
Spill-proof cups: Road trips do not favor drinking liquids. So having spill proof cups ensures not losing a lot of liquid and safe drinking without mess.
Plastic cups: Use these for snack service so that it can be held by your toddler. Never give liquid in these.
Take a toilet so that you can keep away from the gas station nasty bathrooms. Put a disposable diaper in the toddler potty and dispose of the waste. Travel early so that kids sleep while you drive and limit your stops.