The season of Lent begins with Ash Wednesday. On this day the ashes from the last year’s Palm Sunday are put on the forehead by the believers. Lent season ends with Easter. This period signifies mourning, repentance and forgiveness for the past sins. Many people fast and pray till Easter Sunday when the Lord almighty is believed to be resurrected.
There are various reasons why people fast or follow lent. Apart from religious reasons of purging oneself from the past sins, many follow lent for other reasons too. Why do some observe this holiday even if they are not religious? Let us look at some reasons:
- Helps you become a good person: Lent comes around the time when our New Year resolutions are falling apart. Lent is like a reminder about all the promises that we had made for the year to become a better person and have a good year.
- Repentance means you are sorry: This season is a good time to apologize to people we may have hurt or wronged. Saying sorry is a brave thing to do and Lent time is all about repentance. Become a brave person this season and apologize.
- It is time for forgiveness: The way we need to apologize, we also need to forgive. We need to forgive people who seek forgiveness or forgive their offenses. It can be anyone, from an ex spouse to a child to someone in the family or friend circle. Lent is the season to let go off the bitterness in your hearts that is hurting no one but you.
- Grief can be good: mourning is a part of lent. It does not imply that one should sulk, be sad and mourn for 46 days. However, it is a good time to introspect about your losses. In this fast busy world we at times forget to reflect on our losses and the lack of grief. We carry the weight of our losses. Thinking about them and grieving can lessen this burden. Share the pain with someone. Then you can move on.
- Fasting helps lose weight and makes you awesome: Fasting during lent is also a good way to lose weight. It is like a detox for the body. Fasting is difficult and bends us. It induces self discipline and challenges you to give up on luxury. It is giving up on whatever you indulge in, one cookie, a cup of coffee etc. It lets you know how tough a person you are.
- Good for the soul: Most of the religions have fasting. They may vary on the topics of morality but agree on sacrifice being good for the soul. This is the season to reflect, re choose and move forward with a healthier soul.
Lent season is more like purging oneself of the negativities of life than a spiritual reinvention. Some also render themselves to charitable causes or spend some more time in the church. It is like spring cleaning, second chance at New Year resolutions, and a personal trainer to keep you in check.
Image: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>